Go to any stretch of shoreline and you are likely to see people fishing, but have you ever wondered about how many people fish, how much they spend, or if they have any impact on the environment? Some people might …
I'm a senior scientist at Cefas with research interests including citizen science, sea angling and ecosystem modelling.
I lead the Defra funded project “Citizen Science Investigations - empowering the public through the use of novel technologies to collect policy-relevant marine data” or CSI for short.
We are sitting in a lecture theatre and the speaker is going through the normal set of slides – all seems normal until she says “open up your Twitter accounts and provide some live feedback”.
Sea angling is big business in England according to our latest survey of recreational sea angling in England.
Related content and links
About Marine Science
The Marine Science blog showcases the latest developments and research in the marine and freshwater sectors across all government departments.
Follow Cefas on Twitter
- Fish Health Inspectorate: protecting wild and farmed aquatic animals
- Shellfish sleuths- seafood-borne human illness investigations
- Cefas evidence supports successful prosecution in the Environment Agency versus Southern Water wastewater permit breaches case
- Cefas bequeathed priceless biological reference collection
- Monitoring the impact of climate change: The Global Ocean Wildlife Analysis Network and British Antarctic Territory