Shaped by ice and fire, the volcanic South Sandwich Islands are a remote sub-Antarctic archipelago that have remained largely uninhabited since their discovery by polar explorers in the 18th century. In winter, sea ice extends northwards across the two hundred …
I work at Cefas in the Fisheries and Ecosystem Division.
I provide scientific advice for fisheries management.
It was January and therefore traditionally the time for a survey of fish stocks around the island of South Georgia, in the Southern Ocean.
Related content and links
About Marine Science
The Marine Science blog showcases the latest developments and research in the marine and freshwater sectors across all government departments.
Follow Cefas on Twitter
- Into the deep: How Cefas science of the deep-sea is exploring uncharted waters
- One year on: Cefas generates new tools and evidence to support marine natural capital programme
- Making waves: recent contributions of Cefas fisheries science for the future of fisheries management in the UK
- Early Career Scientist Interdisciplinary Summer School: a week of fun, facts and FISH!
- How science, partnerships and innovation are key to tackling illegal trade of sharks and rays in Indonesia